Health & Dental Plan
Welcome to your plan!
To help students pay for the health services they need, a collective health and dental plan has been put in place by your student association. This group Plan is unique in that it helps fill the gaps in provincial health care, while offering coverage that is competitively priced. The coverage includes health, dental, vision, and travel benefits. It covers the unexpected and provides you with preventive care services to keep you in good health.
Since its inception, the Plan has saved its members millions of dollars and has helped thousands of students. As a full-time undergraduate student at Queen’s University and a member of the Alma Mater Society (AMS), you’re automatically covered by the AMS Health & Dental Plan. To minimize paper use and its impact on the environment, this document provides a basic outline of the coverage available to you through your student Plan. A complete list of benefits and details is available at www.ihaveaplan.ca.
Best of luck for a safe and healthy year.
Jennifer Li, Brian MacKay, and Palmer Lockridge
Forms & Information
For all information regarding the Health and Dental Plan please visit studentcare.ca and search Queen’s University.
Group Name: AMS Health & Dental Plan
Group Number: 22275
Insurance Company (Health & Dental Benefits): Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada (Sun Life)
Group Number (Travel Benefits): 97180
Please note: All travel benefits are administered by Blue Cross, and the AMS Group Number is 97180. Please be aware that it is important to contact Blue Cross before you travel. This notification ensures that you are aware of what to do in the event of an accident, and you can check to see if there are any additional requirements. For example, a notification letter of intent may be needed. Please speak to your plan provider, Studentcare Networks (1-877-795-4420), about your travel plans and they can ensure you have covered off all requirements, including the communications with Blue Cross.
If you are automatically enrolled, the cost of the Plan is part of your student fees. You’re responsible for verifying if you are automatically covered by checking your tuition statement or by visiting www.ihaveaplan.ca.
- Application for AMS Health and Dental Plan Coverage for 1st Year Students Attending Bader Institution 2016-2017
- Dental Claim Form
- Extended Healthcare Claim Form
- For opting in, go to studentcare.ca and choose the enrollment form in Download Centre. Payment is to be sent directly to StudentCare Networks.
The full-year coverage costs and breakdown for 2017-2018:
- Dental plan: $154.50
- Health plan: $144.00
You’re covered for the insured portion of your Plan regardless of the health practitioner you choose. However, by consulting a Network member, you’ll get additional coverage and keep more money in your pocket. Visit www.ihaveaplan.ca to find a practitioner.
When visiting an optometrist or an optician who is part of the Vision Network, you save at least 30% on prescription eyeglasses. By combining these savings with your Plan’s insured coverage of $75 for eyeglasses, you can save up to $150. Vision Network members also offer savings on the cost of eye exams and contact lenses.
Your Plan covers the cost of eye exams, new or replacement eyeglasses or contact lenses, and laser eye surgery. You can also get additional coverage through the Studentcare Vision Network.
$50 per 2 policy years for eye exams
$75 per 24 months for new or replacement eyeglasses or contact lenses
$150 per policy year for laser eye surgery
LASIK MD offers a discount of $50 per eye on Standard LASIK and $100 per eye on Advanced Custom Wavefront. This is in addition to the $150 covered by your Plan for laser eye surgery. Student financing plan now available. For more information, visit www.lasikmd.com/ihaveaplan.
You have access to preventive care with a plan that offers $1,000 coverage for dental visits per policy year. Your Plan covers 70% to 80% of your dental costs. You can also get additional savings through the Studentcare Dental Network.
$15 for the initial assessment and $5 for subsequent visits
$10 for the initial assessment and $0 for subsequent visits
Prescription drugs & vaccinations: 80%, up to $2,000 per policy year. The dispensing fee is limited to $5 per prescription or refill.
Health practitioners (psychologists, physiotherapists, chiropractors, athletic therapists etc.):
• $30 per visit, up to $400 per category of practitioner per policy year, except for athletic therapists, which are covered at $30 per visit up to $200 per policy year.
• Visits to registered dieticians and massage therapists require a referral by an MD
• Health benefits (accident only): Medical equipment, dental accident, ambulance,home nurse, hospitalization
• Other health benefits: Diagnostic services, tutorial benefit, and more…
Your Health Plan covers up to $10,000 in health-care coverage per policy year. For a list of health practitioners covered by the Plan, and a complete list of benefits and details, visit www.ihaveaplan.ca
Trip cancellation: up to $1,500 per trip for pre-paid, non-refundable trip expenses in case of a medical emergency.
Trip interruption: up to $5,000 in case of a medical emergency for each trip you take during the policy year.
Exchange/internship students: students who are leaving on a recognized academic exchange or who are participating in an internship as part of their studies can benefit from travel health coverage for the duration of the exchange or internship, as well as for the first 120 days of their trip and for 120 days after the end of their exchange or internship as long as they remain covered for the applicable policy years. You must notify studentcare.net/works before leaving on an exchange.
Anywhere in the world: in addition to travel health coverage, your health and dental benefits can be used anywhere in the world.
Before leaving: if you’re planning to travel, download a Travel Information Brochure at www.ihaveaplan.ca for complete details on benefits, coverage, and telephone numbers for emergency assistance.
Similar travel plans can cost over $500. Visit www.ihaveaplan.ca/travel to compare.
Your student Health & Dental Plan may provide better value:
- Being enrolled as a dependant in a parent or spouse’s employee benefit plan often requires your family member to pay additional costs to have you covered.
- Coverage under most parents’ plans ceases once you are no longer a full-time student or when you turn 26.
- Most private plans offer limited to no travel coverage.Your student Plan covers you for 120 days per trip and includes coverage for trip cancellation and trip interruption. Similar travel plans can cost over $500.
- Most plans also have limited vision coverage and don’t cover vaccinations, which may be mandatory for your academic program.
- You may wish to check your current coverage. By combining both plans, you can maximize your overall coverage—up to 100%—and eliminate out-of-pocket costs!
The AMS Health & Dental Plan is a mandatory student fee unless you are covered by another plan
The Member Services Centre is there to assist you. Give them a call at 1 877 795-4420 if you would like more information on combining plans or consult their website at www.ihaveaplan.ca