Frequently Asked Questions
This section has crucial pieces of information to help you apply for any AMS position from a salaried staff to a general volunteer! If you can’t find the answer to your question on this page please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Have paid the full slate of AMS Student Fees, including your optional AMS Membership Fee. You are automatically opted in to this fee on SOLUS. If you have opted-out of fees that are not to do with the AMS (e.g. optional club fees), you are still eligible.
- Be in good academic standing as defined by your program
Additional eligibility requirements depend on the position you are applying to:
- You must be enrolled in at least 60% of a full course load as defined by your program
- If you are enrolled as a part-time student, you must have opted-in to the AMS Membership Fee on SOLUS.
- If you are applying to a position where you are eligible to receive an honoraria, you must have a valid SIN number. If after reading the job positing you are unsure if the position receives an honoraria, please email the Talent Acquisition Manager at email@example.com to inquire.
Remunerated Positions (Part-time hourly or salary positions)
- You must be eligible to work in Canada and have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Course load requirements
- Part-time hourly: You must be enrolled in at least 60% of a full course load as defined by your program. If you are enrolled as a part-time student, you must have opted-in to the AMS Membership Fee. This can be done at the Registrar’s Office.
- Part-time salaried positions (less than 30 hours/week): Must be enrolled in at least 18.00 credit units (60% of a full course load as determined by your program)
- Full-time salaried positions (30+ hours/week): must be enrolled in at least 3.0 units in both the fall and winter semester, both at the time they apply and the duration of their term
Additional eligibility requirements for applying during the September application deadline
- If you are applying during the Fall Hiring Period, there are additional eligibility requirements for part-time hourly positions (volunteer positions do not have any requirements). This includes: you must be in your first year of study at Queen’s, have been on exchange, BISC, or otherwise studying off-campus as a requirement of your academic program during the winter hiring period, or have been awarded work-study funding that will be applied towards the position for which they are applying. If you do not fulfill one or more of the above criteria and were unable to apply during the winter hiring period due to extenuating circumstances, please contact the Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am NOT an undergraduate student; I am enrolled in another degree program. Can I apply to positions in the AMS?
If you are a graduate student, JD candidate, or teacher candidate at Queen’s University, you are considered an SGPS member (Society of Graduate and Professional Students) and therefore are not an AMS member. This means you are not eligible to apply to any salaried positions in the AMS. For part-time hourly positions, you may apply to the Student Life Centre Service Staff position. For volunteer positions, eligibility requirements may be extended to include SGPS members at the discretion of the Executive, in the event that there is a shortage of qualified applicants.
If you are a MBA student, you are eligible to apply to positions in the AMS, given that you are an AMS member.
Yes! All positions in the AMS are no experience necessary.
How do I apply for a paid or volunteer opportunity?
- Sign in on myams.org/applynow with your Net ID and fill out your Profile (completing the profile does not mean that you have applied to a job!)
- Click on the “Apply Now” tab. Find a position that you would like to apply to and click on the title to view the entire positing. Click “Apply Now”
- The application will consist of written application question(s) and a section to input any references. Depending on the positing, you will also be required to submit a resume and cover letter. Like most systems where you use your Net ID, the application system will automatically time you out after a period of time. Therefore, we recommend writing the application questions in a word document
Are resumes/cover letters required for all positions?
No, only more senior level or salaried positions require a resume and cover letter. There will be a place to attach additional materials, such as a resume, only if it is required for the position.
I am applying to multiple part-time paid positions. Can I rank my choices?
If you are applying to multiple paid part-time positions. You can rank your three department choices, in order of your preference. If more than one service manager wishes to hire you, we will attempt to place you based on your preferences.
If you apply to more than one part-time hourly position where preferences are considered, you will be prompted to complete the preferences after submitting the second application. You can change this selection after, by clicking on your Profile.
I have completed my application, but now I wish to withdraw it. What can I do?
If you are withdrawing your application before the application deadline, you can go under the “My Applications” tab on AMS Apply and hit the withdraw button to the corresponding job posting. If you wish to withdraw after the application deadline, please email the Talent Acquisition Manager at email@example.com
Can I apply for more than one position?
It depends on the type of positions you are applying to.
- Volunteer positions: You may apply to an unlimited number of volunteer positions.
- [NEW FOR 2018] Part-time hourly positions:
- You may apply to up to TWO (2) Corporate Service Staff positions at the Major Services (with the ability to rank your preferences). Summer only Service Staff positions, TAPS Photography Staff, and NON-CORPORATE part-time hourly positions are excluded from this policy.
- Please refer to the specific job descriptions to see if the position you are interested in falls under the above criteria.
- Managers (part-time and full-time salaried positions): You may apply to up to 3 positions in total, across all government, office, and service manager positions.
- Senior Management (Commissioners and Directors- full-time salaried positions): You may apply to only one position. You have the option of putting down your second choice position in your application
- The AMS is an equal-opportunity employer and will strive to provide interview accommodations if brought to our attention
- Interviews typically last anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes
- If you need directions to any of the interview rooms, please visit the Student Life Centre front desk, located at the entrance of the JDUC
- AMS interviews will be conducted by a panel of 2-5 interviewers depending on the position
- AMS positions are no experience necessary, and thus interviews will focus on merit and situational based questions
- AMS interviews typically ask 3-7 questions
- Interview times will be posted 24 hours after the application deadline, and interview results will be posted 24 hours after the last interview takes place, in accordance with our hiring policy and procedure
When will my interview time be posted?
As per AMS Policy, interview times will be posted on AMS Apply within 72 hours following the deadline. Occasionally due to unforeseen circumstances, this is not possible; in these situations, you will be contacted to be made aware that the interview times will be posted at a later date.
What if I need to reschedule the interview?
Please contact the hiring manager for the position you are applying to. If you do not know who this is, please email the Talent Acquisition Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I need to bring anything to my interview?
Unless otherwise stated by the hiring manager, you do not need to bring any additional materials to your interview.
The status of your application can be found on AMS Apply (myams.org/applynow), under the “My Applications” tab. There will be one of the following statuses for each position that you apply to:
- Pending – We are still reviewing your application.
- Interview – You have received an interview time- please note the time and room location of your scheduled interview.
- Hired – You have been Hired for the position – your hiring manager will be reaching out to you directly!
- Not Hired – You are no longer being considered for the position. Keep an eye on AMS Apply as more opportunities may become available later.
My status of my application was changed from “Pending” to “Not Hired”. I was not given an interview time- what does this mean?
Due to the large amount of applications that some postings receives, it is impossible to interview all applicants for a position. Under the AMS Hiring Appointment Policy, if this situation occurs, the hiring manager can evaluate the written applications and run a lottery for interview slots.
The term, “Not Hired” means that unfortunately you are no longer being considered for the position.