Frequently Asked Questions
This section has crucial pieces of information to help you apply for any AMS position from a salaried staff to a general volunteer! If you can’t find the answer to your question on this page please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You must be an AMS member. Members must have paid the full slate of AMS Student Fees, which are automatically included in your tuition if you are a full time student. If you have opted-out of optional student activity fees, you are still eligible.
- You must be in good academic standing as defined by your program.
- You must be enrolled in at least 60% of a full course load as defined by your program.
- If you are enrolled as a part-time student you are eligible only if you have opted-in to the full student fee slate prior to applying.
Part-time hourly positions (applying in the Fall)
- Same terms as above including one or more of the below criteria
- You must be in your first year of study at Queen’s, have been on exchange or otherwise studying off-campus as a requirement of your academic program during the winter hiring period, or have been awarded work-study funding that will be applied towards the position for which they are applying.
- Legally able to work in Canada.
- If you do not fulfill one or more of the above criteria and were unable to apply during the winter hiring period due to extenuating circumstances, please contact the Human Resources Officer at email@example.com.
- Sign in on myams.org/apply with your Net ID and fill out your Profile (completing the profile does not mean that you have applied to a job!)
- Click on the “Jobs” tab. Find a position that you would like to apply to and click on the title to view the entire positing. Click “Apply Now”
- The application will consist of written application question(s) and a section to input any references. Depending on the positing, you will also be required to submit a resume and cover letter.
Are resumes/cover letters required for all positions?
No, only more senior level or salaried positions require a resume and cover letter. There will be a place to attach additional materials, such as a resume, only if it is required for the position.
I am applying to multiple part-time paid positions. Can I rank my choices?
If you are applying to multiple paid part-time positions, you can rank your top 3 choices on your “Profile”. If more than one service manager wishes to hire you, we will attempt to place you based on your preference.
I have completed my application, but now I wish to withdraw it. What can I do?
Please email the Talent Acquisition Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The AMS is an equal-opportunity employer and will strive to provide interview accommodations if brought to our attention
- Interviews typically last anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes
- If you need directions to any of the interview rooms, please visit the Student Life Centre front desk, located at the entrance of the JDUC
- AMS interviews will be conducted by a panel of 2-5 interviewers depending on the position
- AMS positions are no experience necessary, and thus interviews will focus on merit and situational based questions
- AMS interviews typically ask 3-7 questions
- Interview times will be posted 24 hours after the application deadline, and interview results will be posted 24 hours after the last interview takes place, in accordance with our hiring policy and procedure
When will my interview time be posted?
As per AMS Policy, interview times will be posted on AMS Apply within 24 hours following the deadline. Occasionally due to unforeseen circumstances, this is not possible; in these situations, you will be contacted to be made aware that the interview times will be posted at a later date.
What if I need to reschedule the interview?
Please contact the hiring manager for the position you are applying to. If you do not know who this is, please email the Talent Acquisition Manager at email@example.com.
Do I need to bring anything to my interview?
Unless otherwise stated by the hiring manager, you do not need to bring any additional materials to your interview.
Due to the large amount of applications that some postings receives, it is impossible to interview all applicants for a position. Under the AMS Hiring Appointment Policy, if this situation occurs, the hiring manager can evaluate the written applications and run a lottery for interview slots.
The term, “Not Hired” means that unfortunately you are no longer being considered for the position.